The New York Times’s banner headline for today:
Warned About Abuse, Vatican Failed to Defrock Priest
By Laurie Goodstein
Top Vatican officials, including the future Pope Benedict XVI, did not defrock an American priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys, even after warnings from several bishops, church files show.
The winning quote from an archbishop:
“In spite of these difficulties,” Archbishop Weakland wrote, “we are still hoping we can avoid undue publicity (translation: what’s all this media hype about?) that would be negative toward the church (translation: please, we’re the victims here).”
A similar scandal is brewing across Europe where then Archbishop Ratzinger failed to act on sexual abuse reports in Germany. See Abuse Scandal’s Ripples Spread Across Europe.
* * * *
Hmm… So what conclusion can we derive from this?
- The Pope, Joseph Ratzinger, hates gays.
- As a cardinal, Ratzinger headed the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith from 1981 to 2005.
- Said office decides whether accused priests should be given full canonical trials and defrocked.
- Thousands of cases of pedophila and molestation by gay priests were forwarded to his office.
- Ratzinger did not alert civilian authorities or discipline gay priests involved in sexual abuse when he served as an archbishop in Germany and as the Vatican’s chief doctrinal enforcer.
Something doesn’t connect, no? If he hates gays, how come those under his Church, who do in fact commit crimes, go unpunished?
Oh. By the way, I came across this list of Top 10 Anti-Gay Activists Caught Being Gay.
Why I posted this note after the Pope’s is purely incidental.